Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Water Pollution

From wiki explanation: "Water pollution is the contamination of water bodies such as lakes, rivers, oceans, and groundwater caused by human activities, which can be harmful to organisms and plants which live in these water bodies."OMG, human activities? Then it might be cause by me instead.

I had a very bad experience on my marine tank recently. Everything screw up because of a simple mistake. The story is like this:

Lately i spent less time in my house due work. I was lazy to refill the tank water until the water level dropped few inches from the normal level (for those who never setup the marine tank, this is the daily task that we must do) . As lost so much water from the tank, the salt level became high enough to kill my anemone (nemo's favorite habitats). My anemone drying... this is not the terrible thing yet. I filled up my tank with fresh water and resume to tank back to the normal state.

The top right corner is the anemone

Everything looks fine & i make a mistake to keep the drying anemone in the tank. Since i bought this species, i always threat it is a plant and grow it like a plant. I thought after it died, its remain will be absord into the water like the plant... I am wrong!!!... it did not absord into the water but the died "body" polluted my whole tank instead. It is really stink, imagine the taste of a the died fish at the seaside....*yiiiiiiiiiak. The surface of my tank covered by a layer of oil. It almost killed every creatures in my tanks!!! I lost: 2 stickworms, 1 7-lines (fish), and my beloved stone-shrimp (rare species - i only saw one so far).

My tank lefts 2 nemos, 1 dory & a deesel only.... so sad. For this moment, i will not stock in any more items into the tank until i have more time to take care of them. I am uploading the last view of my stone-shrimp... feel free to pay your last respect to him.... ~sob ~sob

2 comments:

pinkylicious said...

May the stone-shrimp rest in peace. It's not easy to take care of other stuffs when we dont even have time to take care of ourselves. Wait till the project ramp down, then you can start over again lor.

RedCrabby said...

Another alternative is to get a bigger tank, the water level will be high enough and water quality will be more easier to control :) Of course this is not in my prefer list :p. I will switch the marine tank back to fish tank, which is less maintenance required. Well, for the bigger tank, maybe move to new house only consider la... :P